Saturday, June 21, 2008

60 miles!!!!!!

Once again, a beautiful Saturday morning...and the distance today....60 miles!!!!!! We started out at 8:00, and ended at 12:20, with three short rest breaks over the 60 miles...at 18, 27, and 37 miles near Chelsea. I slept better last night and did the smart thing of taking along an energy bar which was consumed at mile 27 when we had a nice stop under a tree in Waterloo. (MI, not ON) :-) There was a beautiful breeze that was sometimes a stiff headwind, but that's OK. Harvey and I practiced drafting and for a while we were in a group with a bunch of guys going 23-25 mph on average...felt good, but we could not keep up the pace! We averaged 16.9 mph for the trip, not too shabby for the day. Harvey, thanks for the moral support with the training. It makes these rides so much more enjoyable!

Energy levels for the day were better as I consumed a LOT of food, unlike last Saturday where I thought I could get by on regular amounts of food, even though I had burned massive amounts of energy! Live and learn! Food consumption on the tour should be interesting.

I started weighing my gear, and was a little surprised that with just my lawn chair and sleeping pad, I am 1/6th of the way towards my weight limit! Arghhhhhhhh! I guess I will get creative, or find another lawn chair! :-)

Monday of this week also added 42 miles for the training schedule. Thanks to Sheila the attorney who biked with me for a few miles to have some conversation vs solo riding. 117 miles total for the week(6 days). A new record.

Thursday brought a presentation before Synod (of the CRC) for the Sea to Sea tour and I can't help but think of Claire's words that she pulled from Paul's message to the Philippians, chapter 3:13b-14--Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Thoughts to ponder while on the road.

Time to put this tired body to bed, sleep well. Happy training.

No comments: