Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Great Week of Biking

As I sit here on Thursday evening, I am a happy lady. My work week is completed. I worked this week Mon-Thurs as tomorrow morning I leave with a friend and her sister (and a few more friends) for a girls weekend out in Chicago! Since Sunday, I have been able to cycle 15 miles each evening and 20 last night as I got home quickly after bidding my patients adieu! I know that 15-20 miles a day is not a great feat but after being at work for 10 1/2 hours, I am tired and daylight wanes. (This week many of those hours were physically exhausting as a good number of my patients got a lot of manual work!)

Tonight's ride was a shorter quicker ride as I had laundry which needed to get done...clean clothes are good with a weekend trip ahead of me. My fastest speed was 35.6 mph down hill and I believe I averaged about 17-18 mph (My bike computer does not compute average speed-so simple math is doing it for me tonight.) I saw a lot of ground hogs this evening, but nothing can beat the ground hog who charged towards my bike on Tuesday evening. I don't know if he was happy (or unhappy) that it was raining and just out for a jog, or surprised to see me whizzing by at mach speed, but either way, I was happy I was on my bicycle and not on foot! Another episode last night where I could have almost touched another deer as I was riding along. She must be complacent to just watch, although I think that this deer had gotten too close to something previously as her back and sides were covered with deeper scratches...

I am catching up on blogs of fellow cyclists, thoroughly enjoying Gayle Harrison's blog and laughing at her commentary--I yearn to be out there with all of you! Keeping up also with Cynthia Aukema and Paul and Teresa Hoekstra...Chatham-Kent natives...and with Nathan Beach, a fellow Ann Arborite with whom I trained one fine day in May.

Blessings on training, stay safe on the road.

No comments: