Sunday, August 3, 2008

Less than a week to go!!!

With just 4 more days of work and 6 more sleeps before I arrive at camp in Madison, WI, my excitement level is rising steadily. I had a send off last week from the Dresden CRC where I grew up and today from the Ann Arbor CRC where I have attended for the last 4 1/2 years. There have been many well wishes from both friends and family and they are wonderful but they don't do quite so much to allay my fears of how this will go.

The questions of......
will I be able to do the distance
will I be able to handle the heat that the tour seems to be stuck with
will I be able to do the ups and downs, or more so the ups
will I blend into the community
will I experience lots of "God moments"
will I experience the "ride of my life"

All these questions go through my mind as I have gone through the last few days. Yesterday was a cycling safety training session with Josh Duggan from the League of American Cyclists and 17-18 other riders beginning in Grand Rapids. We learned/got refreshed on the safety rules we all should obey and learned some defensive driving skills...kind of like drivers ed on a bike! I am looking forward to meeting up with these folks again in two weeks.

Pray for safety of those on the tour as they encounter three centuries in a row this week with 113, 113, and 100 miles as they travel across Iowa. May they have the wind at their backs, smooth roads, wide shoulders and days free from injury.

Konstantin and Theresa will be driving me to Chicago and then Ali will be driving me from Chicago to Madison on Saturday...and then it begins!

5 comments:

Teressa said...

Melissa,

I read again the 8/2 C2C devotion: "When I am afraid I put my trust in you" (Ps. 56:3). The psalmist says when, not if. I pray that you will trust God moment to moment as you continue to prepare for and then experience this amazing event. Trust God that you are ready, that you are in his care, and that he will use you for his glory.

Teressa Streng

Anonymous said...

Hi, Melissa,
We are friends of Pho and Nancy, Randy and Linda Buteyn. We are praying for you as you begin the sea to sea adventure. May all go well for you!
Linda

Bonner Tandem said...

Hi Melissa--It was great to meet you this past Saturday. We have many of the same anxieties on our list. Looking forward to seein you again in GR. Take care, and happy riding.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure you can count on the last one...